Home > Archive: September, 2017

Archive for September, 2017

I am back, been living the life of Job lately

September 28th, 2017 at 04:15 pm

Hi all

I have wanted to write and update for a while now.

Anyway I am 9 months off from my 5 year goal and I was on relatively easy street w the goal in mind.. clear sailing and them made an ill advised decision, took my eye WAY off the ball, and suddenly it appears everything that can go wrong in several areas of "the plan" is going wrong

Please constructive feedback only. The situation is painful enough as it is and I see no way out but through.

K.. neutral news first

1. I applied for and was accepted to Moody Bible for a Masters in Ministry Leadership.I start in 2 weeks!! scary, exciting.I am getting more involved w the church and that is neat..I sometimes doubt this is what I want to do but then I get excited. I am trying out various jobs at the church and exploring outside of church to see what I want to do.

2. I decided to REFINANCE the house again. I know I just did and it does not appear to be a year that goes by without some crazy restructuring of the loan. Anyway I got a 15 year no cost loan before, against some people advice including some on this forum (Another Reader for one! Smile ).. and on thinking of it and getting closer to the 5 year goal I am thinking there is NO WAY I am going to feel comfortable paying so much for the mortgage and lowering my income. I have a 3.15/15 year loan now.I am approved for a 3.8725 30 loan with NO COSTS at all... even refunding the appraisal cost. This will lower my payment over $800 which I can put towards investing and savings. The rate goes up but I am no longer think of this as a long term house so would prefer to put the $ towards saving and investing. If anyone has thoughts on this I welcome them before I finalize it.

3. Got renewed at work through December but currently waiting for our big account to sign a big contract so have very little work.. and can only bill 40 hours per week..but maybe have 5 hours worth of actual work to do (I am used to 50+ and want to make more $ now. will explain lower). The longer they wait to sign the more at risk I feel.

4. No change in Dad who has Alzheimers.. just slowing down. sleeps most of the time...I see him every week, we will wake him for lunch, eat and then he goes back to sleep.. talks some, smiles some.. we have 4.5 years worth of funds left where he is at which is a great place. He no longer goes out at all. I am POA over everything

5. been dating and met some great guys just not the one. I have been wondering if now is not 'my time' or if I stop looking he will just appear Smile

6. all real estate taxes paid across all homes. rental homes going well.

k. the bad stuff.

I bought that 2 flat.. on contract, $65k. Comps were $115k for a 2 flat next door with tenants in it. Estimate was $20k to fix up including new windows throughout. My post is getting waaay too long. I will sum it up and share more later. Project went WAY SOUTH. My $20k estimate has turned into $40k and is at serious risk of going to $45k. When water was turned on it was discovered a main drain pipe had cracked prior. The resulting water leak caved in the kitchen ceiling and then ripping out the rest of the ceilings and 'built on the wall cabinets' exposed out of date piping and electrical. The city is now involved w permits. Had to do a full repipe of the whole house and now electric may have to be updated through out ( we were just going to update the kitchen. I see inspector at 3pm today). Even at $45k to fix up we are still at 11% cap rate with expected rents but project is WAY MORE than I expected. though I make much less right I am grateful for the time the reduced hours and no work gives me as I have had to meet inspectors, make phone calls, source contractors, vet them etc.

I got a equity line of credit for this (not expecting $45k) but just something to have. It will come in handy.

This puts my goal at risk and to meet my goal I want to have paid off ALL fix up and $25k of the $40k I borrowed from myself to buy this by June 2018. In addition to getting my rental emergency fund back up to $18k. This obviously adversely impacts my savings rate and also puts the completion of the 2 flat in a bad 'rental season' which may impact rents or length of time it takes to rent. Also I want to have the management of all homes crisp and clear.. I am still fine tuning things there but definately going in the right direction with good tenants etc, rents paid etc.

You can see where extra hours would come in handy.

This week and weekend I hope to clarify the last remaining costs.. electric, cabinets and counter top and get an electrical guy and clarify my timeline. My electrical guy who was going to do this walked off TODAY.. this am... at 8am saying he was pulling his name off the permit.